Waste Data Strategy
The Waste Data Strategy is a key supporting document of the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Strategy 2030 (Waste Strategy) and the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Action Plan 2021-22 (Action Plan). It aims to guide the actions to be undertaken by the Waste Authority and the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation to improve waste data management in WA, and to ensure that the waste data needs of stakeholders are met.
The management of waste data is a priority in both the Waste Strategy and Action Plan, which include a commitment to develop, release and implement a waste data strategy. The review and updating of data collection and reporting systems is one of the headline strategies of the Waste Strategy.
The Waste Data Strategy sets out the principles, objectives and specific actions to be undertaken by the Waste Authority and Department of Water and Environmental Regulation to improve waste data management. Its three objectives are to:
meet legislative requirements
support delivery of the waste strategy
meet the needs of waste data stakeholders.
Each of the 12 strategies set out in the Waste Data Strategy include a number of specific actions to be led by the Waste Authority:
- Improve, centralise and streamline waste data storage and reporting.
- Collect data to monitor WA’s waste and recycling performance and enable measurement and reporting against waste strategy targets.
- Improve data confidence.
- Improve availability of waste data for stakeholders.
- Collect and manage data for the development and evaluation of policy and programs.
- Improve consistency of waste data terminology and definitions.
- Collect comprehensive and reliable data on food waste.
- Reform data measurement and management for the application of the waste levy.
- Manage data for the development and implementation of Local Government Waste Plans.
- Improve illegal dumping data.
The Waste Data Strategy will be reviewed approximately every five years, in line with the legislated review of the waste strategy.