Learn more about reducing waste and increasing re-use, recycling and recovery of used tyres at our related web page.
Several online documents and other websites have information about either the waste management or recycling of used tyres.
Previous research and projects conducted by or on behalf of the State Government:
- Investigation into the Environmental, Social and Economic Impacts of a Potential Banning of Used Tyres to Landfill and of Mandatory Recycling of Used Tyres - September 2006
- Department of Environment Report for Review of management and operation of used tyre stockpiles Stockpile Guidelines - June 2006
- Sustainable Strategic Solutions Report: Used Tyre Recycling Industry Triple Bottom Line Analysis
- Review of Management of Used Tyres at Landfill Sites
- Technology and Market Development for Tyre Derived Products.
Western Australian Legislation
The storage, handling, transportation and disposal of used tyres are specifically controlled under the following Western Australian legislation
- Environmental Protection Regulations 1987 (Part 6, Schedule 1 and Schedule 5) - storage, handling, transportation and Disposal
- Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004 – transport
Also, both the Environmental Protection Act 1986 and the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act 2007 have provisions that can be relevant to the control of used tyre waste.
Western Australian legislation information is here and is available in it's entirety online from the State Law Publisher.